The Jumo 223 was a diesel engine which was built from four two stroke diesel Jumo 207engines arranged in a box form with four crankshafts. It was watercooled. The development started in 1939 but it took until the end of WWII before the first engines were taken into static tests.
The Jumo 224 was a further development of the Jumo 223 based on four Jumo 207B-3 engines. Its developement was started in 1943. It was much larger then the Jumo 223 and had an increased capacity. But already in late 1943 the developement of this engine had to be stopped as the RLM gave highest priority to the jet engine developements. Only little activities continued on the Jumo 224 design. At the end of WWII the Jumo 224 was ready for static tests.
The Russians continued the Jumo 224 developement after WWII at Dessau and later at Moscow. Responisble for this Russian further developement was the former Junkers engineer Gerlach.
Aircraft Types equipped with Jumo 223/224:
The Jumo 224 did not reach test status. Only some static tests may be performed.
No inflight operations of the Jumo 223 is known.
Some reports speak of a test flight onboard a Junkers Ju52.
Further reading at other Sites:
Multicrankshafts opposed piston engines
unknown (scroll down for Jumo 223 description)